Carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious medical condition that can lead to lifelong disability and in some cases even death. Over 400 Americans die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning every year and more than 20,000 visit the emergency room secondary to carbon monoxide exposure. Over 4,000 of those patients are hospitalized. Carbon monoxide poisoning often happens due to negligence and it's important to contact an attorney if you have been exposed to carbon monoxide due to the fault of a landlord or property owner.
Carbon monoxide is produced any time fuel is burned in a car, truck, small engine, stove, fireplace, range or furnace. The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain and confusion. If carbon monoxide levels remain high enough, someone exposed may pass out and can die.
When too much carbon monoxide is in the air, your body replaces oxygen in your red blood cells with carbon monoxide. This can cause serious tissue damage or death.
We have experience handling cases involving carbon monoxide poisoning including in the setting of a poorly maintained furnace or HVAC system causing carbon monoxide to flood an apartment.